Thursday, March 26, 2009

If you delete pictures from a camera, is there any way they can still end up on the internet?

I think we all have taken bad pictures and such, but I was just wondering...





I know there are ways to recover this software but I was just thinking in terms of uploading pictures to my computer. Is there any way those deleted ones could get out there?
If you delete pictures from a camera, is there any way they can still end up on the internet?
Often %26quot;deleted%26quot; data isn%26#039;t completely deleted, it%26#039;s just marked that it can me written over. So until that data sector has been written over the info is still there. One needs to know how to access it though. This is kind of what %26quot;recovery%26quot; programs that try to regain deleted/lost try to do. It could also depend on the type of memory the device uses.
If you delete pictures from a camera, is there any way they can still end up on the internet?
Sure. Only the header information is deleted. The data from the file is still on the hard drive.





Do a defrag, that should write over most of it.
Reply:Unless you have NO protection on your computer, like a firewall, anti-virus, anti-phishing, anti-everything else, then there is no way anyone can get into your computer and just take what they want.





I have at least three firewall on my computer ... one at the broadband router, my secured WiFi router and finally the one on my computer. I have a special program running that scans all my email for nasties before it gets to my email program as well.





That said, after you make sure your computer is secure, use the computer to delete images you don%26#039;t like ... there are two compelling reasons for this. First, when you view your images using your much larger computer screen, you will better be able to decide which images you want to trash and second, deleting individual images off the card can eventually cause your memory card to become corrupted and then you will lose all the images you have on the card.





Best practice is to format the memory card after you have copied all your pictures over to your computer ... formating refreshes the card and writes new file folders and a new image index file.

No comments:

Post a Comment